World-class cities have walkable downtowns that are easy to navigate. Journeys throughout a vibrant, connected downtown can ignite memorable experiences and transform the act of “getting around” into “getting connected” with the community.
Downtown Orlando is surrounded by a diverse array of distinct Main Street districts, historic neighborhoods, established residential areas, community business enclaves, and growing regional health service villages. To preserve the character of our districts and neighborhoods and to amplify accessibility and mobility, we need to recalibrate our transportation network to put people first. Our journeys throughout downtown must include great streets for walking that connect people from home and work to the arts, sports, entertainment, and businesses. A well-connected urban trail system and intuitive wayfinding system will make it easier for locals and visitors to find and explore our districts and neighborhoods.
Downtown Orlando also plays a key role in helping enhance accessibility, reducing parking demands, and easing traffic congestion not only within DTO, but also in surrounding areas like College Park, Ivanhoe Village, Parramore, and beyond. Developing regional transportation solutions and optimizing local accessibility between neighborhoods is essential to achieving strong economic growth and sustained quality of life because we’ve learned the journey should be half the fun.
We will reinforce our highly connected neighborhoods and districts by:
- Conceiving outstanding walking and bicycling opportunities that connect neighborhoods, businesses, and arts and cultural destinations.
- Advancing an effective and efficient transit system that is frequent, fast, and reliable, connecting seamlessly with Orlando’s unique districts and destinations.
- Cultivating a connected street, pathway, and green network that provides safe walking and bicycling among neighborhoods, hospitals, parks, centers of culture, and Main Street districts.
- Improving pedestrian accessibility and promoting balanced use of all transportation modes.
- Creating better pedestrian and bicycle amenities and infrastructure that support a comfortable and safe walking and bicycling environment.
View the entire Project DTO Vision Plan